Our guiding privacy principles
The Institute of Directors (‘IoD’) is committed to upholding your privacy as a valued member, prospective member, customer or user of this or any other IoD website.
Please read this Policy carefully to understand the views and practises of the IoD regarding your Data and how it will be used. By submitting your Data to our web sites (our Sites) or providing it to us in any other manner, you are accepting and consenting to our collection and use of your Data as described in this policy and as otherwise explained to you at the time of collection.
What personal data do we collect?
The IoD collects personal information to provide our services to you in several ways. We will collect and process the following data about you:
Information you give us.
This is information about you that you give to us by registering as a user of our Site, booking to attend an IoD event, providing us with your business card at an IoD event, registering for an IoD membership or ordering any of the IoD’s products or services or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes any subscriptions for services, any order on our Site, participation in discussion boards or other social media functions on our Site, entering into any competition, promotion or survey hosted by us or a third party authorised by us, and when you report a problem with our Site. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, job title and number of years’ business experience and previous company history.
Information we collect about you.
With regard to each of your visits to our Site we will automatically collect the following information:
• technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, your browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
• information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from any of our Site (including date and time), products you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), data on the publications or information you request, IoD events or surveys you have signed up for, methods used to browse away from the page, and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
Information we receive from other sources.
This is information we receive about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. We are working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies). We will notify you when we receive information about you from them and the purposes for which we intend to use that information.
All Data that we collect from third parties will be collected and shared with us in a manner that is compliant with all relevant data protection laws and codes.
We do not collect sensitive information about you except when you specifically and knowingly provide this to us.
What we use your Data for
We use information held about you in the following ways:
Information you give to us.
We will use the information you provide to us:
• to carry out our obligations arising from any contract we enter into with you and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us. This includes using your information to contact you in relation to any order you have made with us or in the process of answering or solving a service query;
• to provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
• to provide you with information about surveys or events sponsored by third parties that are related to the goods and services you have already purchased or enquired about;
• to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you. We will only contact you with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale or negotiations of a sale to you. Where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please follow the guidance provided on the form on which we collect your Data;
• to notify you about changes to our products and service;
• to ensure that any content we provide is presented in the most effective manner for you and allow us to provide the highest possible level of service.
Information we collect about you.
We will use this information:
• to administer our products, Site and services and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
• to record our Site’s usage patterns and your use of the IoD’s services, good and services.
• to improve our products, Site and services and to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device;
• to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
• as part of our efforts to keep our products, Site and services safe and secure;
• to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
Disclosure of information
The IoD’s use of your Data for any of the purposes disclosed in this Policy, or any other purposes disclosed in any separate communication, may involve the IoD sharing it with third parties.
You agree that we have the right to share your personal information with:
• Any member of our group which means our subsidiaries, our holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
• Selected third parties including:
• Business partners, suppliers contractors, sub-contractors, agents or professional advisers appointed by the IoD, and hosting providers for the purpose of providing IoD services, facilities and products.
• Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our Site.
We will disclose your personal information to third parties:
• In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we will disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
• If the IoD or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
• If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of the IoD, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
These may include entities located in countries outside the European Economic area, who will be required to comply with our strict privacy requirements, and to demonstrate that they follow best practice guidelines for data protection.
Unless obliged to do so by law, the IoD shall not sell, rent, lease or otherwise share your Data with third parties, unless you have provided your specific, positive and unambiguous consent.
Third Party Use of your Data
As part of our commitment to offering you a wide range of products and services, we may enable you to make purchases direct from a third party seller (‘Seller’). If you choose to make a transaction direct with a Seller, we will make it clear to you that you are being transferred to the Seller’s site.
Photo and Video Disclaimer
Images may be captured during events organised and/or hosted by the Institute of Directors (IoD) using film photography, digital photography, video or other mediums. The IoD reserves the right to use the images captured in any brochures, booklets, videos, websites or other media and publicity material produced by the IoD.
The IoD informs all persons taking part in an IoD event that they may be photographed, filmed, videoed or otherwise captured in image form.
Where possible and practical to do so, the IoD will seek written consent to image capture. However, where this is not possible for practical reasons, unless express objections are received, individuals attending an event are deemed to have given their consent by attending or remaining at the event.
Data may also be used to send IoD members and non-members promotional communications as described in the ’Promotional Communications’ Any queries or complaints should be raised with the IoD in the first instance.
Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.
You may at any time opt out of any future IoD communication, digital or non-digital, Promotional or non-Promotional. If you wish to opt out of receiving postal communications please contact the IoD Membership Department. If you wish to opt out of email communications please use the ‘Unsubscribe’ link provided and follow the instructions. Alternatively you can go to www.iod.com/email and change your email subscriptions or contact the IoD Membership department.
Maintaining and storing the information we hold about you
The IoD aims to keep the Data it holds about you accurate and up to date. If at any time you want to verify, update or amend any Data we hold about you or if you become aware of possible errors or inaccuracies in that Data, please visit www.iod.com/amend where you are able to view and amend your details online (you will need to be logged in using your username and password)or alternatively contact the IoD Membership department.
If for any reason we need to or are required to transfer or process your information outside of the EEA, we will first obtain your express consent.
The IoD places great importance on the security of all Data associated with our members, customers, registered users of iod.com and other contacts. We have security measures in place to protect against loss, misuse or alteration of Data under our control.
Unfortunately no transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal data, we cannot warrant the absolute security of any Data you transmit to us online or to any other persons providing products or services online through iod.com. You are responsible for maintaining the security of your passwords in your possession and/or any account information in your control.
The IoD may from time to time invite you to participate in surveys. This may occur online or using other communication channels. Anonymity of individual respondents and protection of personal details will be maintained except where you have expressly granted permission to the contrary. Information gathered through surveys will be researched and compiled on an aggregated basis and results may be published on iod.com or elsewhere. Such results will not identify you. The information will be used to help us formulate our policy positions and to monitor or improve iod.com and IoD products and services.
You have the right to ask the IoD not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. The IoD will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if it intends to use your data for such purposes or if it intends to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms the IoD uses to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting the IoD at [Please insert relevant communications email or physical address].
Our Site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of the IoD’s partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that the IoD does not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
How you can access your information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act.
How to contact us about this policy